Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The name game

Soon after finding out we were pregnant, Richie and I started casually tossing around baby names, as most expectant parents do. I felt very certain that we would be having a boy, but we batted around girl names too just in case. I was surprised that we quickly agreed on a girl name. A boy name, however, did not come as easily. Over the course of my pregnancy, we tested out a few names but never decided 100% on anything. Then the baby was born and we were faced with a 5 day deadline to pick something for his birth certificate...pressure! The night before we were discharged from the hospital, we took some time to really think about our new baby and what his name should be.

We decided on Benjamin Branum, which honors special people on both sides of our family. Benjamin comes from my dad's father (my Granddaddy Griffin) and from my Uncle Bennie (my mother's brother), with whom I share a birthday. Branum is Jeremy's middle name and it is Richie's grandmother Lila Mae's maiden name (Mr. Richard's mother). We also found out after we named him that Mr. Richard has recently found 4 Benjamin Branums in the family tree dating back to the 1700's. Benjamin has been such a blessing, and we both agree that his name just fits him perfectly, although the name he hears most often around our house is "my baby brudder" from his very proud big brother...

No comments: